Thursday, January 04, 2007

At last we are free from God!

Jeremiah 2.31 sounds exactly like the contemporary western world: “O people of the west, listen to the words of Yahweh! Have I been like a desert to you, bringing you drought, famine and poverty? Have I been like a land of darkness to you, blinding you with lies, deception and false religion? Why then do you say, ‘At last we are free from God! We won’t have anything to do with him anymore!’"

“It’s me who put you where you are now,” Yahweh could sing, “and I could put you back down too. Don’t you want me, baby?” And the west would not be where it is now had it not been for the hand of God. But then to read the regular godless arrogance in the newspaper, ridiculing God and the notion of the divine – ‘At last we are free from God! We understand that the unenlightened masses who went before us needed their silly childish beliefs to keep them going – but we are mature, free from such trite nonsense.’ Choosing ungrace over grace. Choosing dog-eat-dog over forgiveness. Choosing pride over thankfulness. Do they not realise what they are rejecting, who they are abandoning? ‘At last we are free from the One who is Love – so I can indulge my every selfishness’ – and rape the poor (Jeremiah continues).

No comments: