Friday, October 06, 2006

The Angel of Helsinki

At about the same time as the Wilderness Hike I met the Angel of Helsinki.

My friend, Eric (who I'd gone Wilderness Hiking with) had gone to Helsinki to submit their Russian visa applications, but the photos were rejected. They were on the wrong kind of paper. His wife and children were just waking up at our place, over 100km away. So I whisked them off to the only photo machine I know in Lahti; they had their pictures taken (the ones on the wrong kind of paper were much more flattering) - and I headed off to Helsinki in the car to take them to Eric.

It was about 10.30. The consulate closed at 12.00. Time was short. It was about an hour's drive to the edge of Helsinki. The Russian Consultate was right down by the harbour, though, and I had never driven there before, and Eric had my only map.

As I joined the motorway on the edge of Lahti I saw something I’d never seen before: a hitchhiker. So I stopped to pick him up. He was a pleasant young-ish man, spoke perfect English. His clothes were pale in colour. I took him to be some kind of nurse since he said he had just been helping someone in Lahti and was on duty in Helsinki at 3 o'clock. As we talked I mentioned that we would be going on holiday in Norway soon, to Mo i Rana and Bodo. He had lived there for a few years.

He was a native of Helsinki. He assured me that he was in no hurry to get to his destination in Helsinki, and since he had a transport pass he could pick up a bus or tram anywhere in the city at no cost. He directed me through all kinds of back streets (when I jumped a red light he reprimanded me), straight through Helsinki, straight to the consulate. All the time he knew exactly which way to go. And in time for Eric. Five minutes after Eric went in they closed the gates to visa applicants.

Without the hitchhiking angel’s help and guiding presence I would never have got there on time. And when we arrived at the consulate he bid me farewell, and vanished. Eric glimpsed him briefly. “Who was that in the car with you?” "An angel," I replied.

OK, now for the scientific bit. Was he an angel or a person fulfilling an angelic role? I honestly don't know. Either would be possible. Interestingly, though, about a month later I was at a conference where John Woolmer, author of Angels of Glory and Darkness, was the guest speaker. I discussed the Angel of Helsinki with him; I read his book. I'm open, either way.

What do you think? (How do I know that there's anyone out there reading this?!)

Over to you! Michael

No comments: