Thursday, October 05, 2006

Winderness Hike

My portrait was taken when I was on a wilderness hike in the summer. Two fathers. Two sons. (In case you're wondering: despite my T-shirt, I am not Welsh, but I did live in Wales for three years. And despite the fact that I'm living in Finland, I am not Finnish - but I have been living here for the last three years.)

There's a song by Iona called The River Flows. It includes the line, "Down through the ages, the truth will survive."

Down through the ages, the truth will survive. God can take care of that. At the same time truth is self-evident. The truth that Paris is the capital of France. The truth that E=mc². The truth that God exists. The truth that he is good. The truth that I fall short. The conclusion that therefore I need to throw myself onto his mercy.

At the same time, fathers and sons together. In earlier times our fathers and forefathers were the guardians of the truth. They may not have got it spot on. I may not have it spot on. My son may not get it spot on. But down through the ages, the truth will survive. One generation may have one emphasis; the next generation may have a different emphasis. Some expressions of the truth will look quite different from others. But God will ensure that down through the ages the truth will survive. The truth will adjust itself to different cultures and contexts. The wrappings may change but the truth will never change.

Down through the ages the truth will survive
Turning the pages the light cannot die

Michael

No comments: