Saturday, September 16, 2006

The power of vision

The power of vision. In order to reach for the future we need that glimpse of the future. In her song Sand in my shoes, Dido got her glimpse in a two week experience by the sea. (Praying for a glimpse of you...) If Dido had just been told about the other life she could have been leading, away from her flat on the road where the cars never stop going through the night, it would have sounded nice but would not have had the oomph for I wanna see you again, and neither would it have left the sand in her shoes, that perpetual itch so that she would never forget. The best way to instil vision is through experience.

But how to give folks that visionary experience? “Two weeks away, all it takes to change and turn me around I’ve fallen…” Dido’s vision for a new lifestyle came from experiencing that new lifestyle for two weeks. It included a human relationship. And then the second challenge is when I’m back home after the visionary experience: “Two weeks away it feels like the world should've changed, but I'm home now and things still look the same” – how to sustain the vision during the ordinariness of normal existence. The beginning of transformation and the sand in my shoes. The prophetic sand. And the I wanna see you again. The desire to live the vision.

My vision is to be set free and for you to be set free. God is putting that sand in my shoes so that I won't lose the vision. We don't need to be content with ordinariness. I still haven't found what I'm looking for, sang U2. If I think I've found all there is to look for I've lost the sand in my shoes. There is more to life that what I'm experiencing now.

No comments: